Dear Twenty Something Series: Relax, Relate, Release
Before I get started let me say Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Easter and Happy Women’s History Month! I’m so excited to get back into blogging. I can’t believe I haven’t blogged in months and this is my first blog post of 2016. For the past few months what started as a digital detox turned into a blogging hiatus. I’m so glad I decided to take this time off because I truly needed it and now I am ready to get back into blogging. Thank you for sticking with me and I hope you are excited to see what’s to come.
Whenever I need to take a step back I remember A Different World’s Relax, Relate, Release episode with Debbie Allen. This episode is so funny and these three R words are so true if you want to take a step back in your life. If you don’t know what I’m talking stop right now and go to Netflix and check out A Different World. You won’t be disappointed. Side note: I thought college would be like this television show…and it was not. lol But I have to say college was one of the best times of my life!
If you are anything like me I tend to have so many projects going on. If you see my Google Calendar, Moleskin Planner and To-Do List you will say, “Slow down!”. What can I say I have a lot of things going on in my life. Getting things done is great, but if you are overworked it is not good. Plus it’s not good for your stress levels.
So Why Relax, Relate, Release?:
If you feel overwhelmed or a bit stressed the three R’s can help you. Take a deep breath, close your eyes and step back for a couple of minutes. How does that make you feel? Do you feel better? If you need more time do it again. I hope you feel a bit better now.
I know what you are thinking, “I have to do this now!” and I’m here to tell you no you don’t. If you take a moment out for yourself and just take one step back you will feel so much better. You have to take care of yourself before you burnout.
Ways to Relax, Relate, Release:
- Pray and write in a gratitude journal
- Take a walk and enjoy your environment. I like to do this early in the morning or early evening. 🙂
- Create a music playlist or Pandora Radio Station that is uplifting. Listen to this playlist anytime you need a pick me up. My favorite Pandora Radio Stations are: Babyface, John Legend, Broadway Showtunes and 90s R&B.
- Take a step back to look at all the good things that have happened in your life and thank God for His blessings. I’m thankful for so much and I know you are too. 🙂
- Get creative: Do a DIY project or paint
- Pamper yourself: hair, face and body
Now that was simple enough. Doing these things can make a big difference in your life and may be all you need to brighten your day. Remember there is something to be thankful for everyday!
And lastly: Relax, Relate, Release!
What is your favorite way to Relax, Relate, Release? Share below.