To me the 20’s are an extension of your teenage age years. Same script different cast, well at least for the early part of the 20’s. I know some of you can relate to what I’m saying. All of the ups and downs that we face during our 20’s was one of the inspirations for me to start my dear twenty something series. Over the past few days I have watched a handful of #DearME videos from inspirational women on YouTube and I wanted to share my advice to my younger self.
Before I get started let me tell you about the #DearMe Initiative:
Today is International Women’s Day! In celebration of International Women’s Day, YouTube started a #DearMe global Initiative to inspire and empower young girls everywhere. I’m all for women empowerment and inspiring girls so I knew this was an opportunity for me to share my #DearME advice. These are the things I would tell my younger self:
#DearME: My Advice to my Younger Self:
1. It’s okay that nice girls finish last: There will be times in your life when you will questions yourself and say when is it your turn. When that happens take a step back and think about the blessings you have already received. God has a plan for you and things will happen when the time is right.
2. Listen to your gut: That voice is always right. If you are still unsure about your gut pray on it and God will lead you in the right direction always!
3. Speak up when things are important to you: Sometimes when you are shy people don’t realize that you have something important to say. A quote from an episode of A Different World comes to mind: “I am a voice in this world”. Remember this!
4. Don’t be a workaholic: It’s okay and necessary to take a break. Practice having a work-life balance. You will be more productive and happier.
5. Don’t be afraid to showcase your creativity: Create things that make you happy. If you are happy you will inspire others to be happy. 🙂
Bonus tip: Keep inspirational things around you. For example, I have a quote journal and every time I see a good quote I write it down or pin it on Pinterest. A few months I saw this quote on Pinterest: “Be thankful for what you are now and keep fighting for what you want to be tomorrow.” I hope this quote will inspire you! 🙂
If you want to learn more about the #DearMe initiative check out this YouTube video:
If you want to see some inspirational women on YouTube that I like to watch that did #DearMe videos check out their videos below:
Inspirational Women to Watch:
- Chescaleigh is all around funny and started a podcast with her husband, #LastNameBasis
- Andrea Lewis has #SelfLove Saturday videos and I wrote a blog post about her inspirational videos
- BeautifulLifeToday has videos about how to live a positive and happier life and I wrote a blog post about her inspirational videos
- Shameless Maya is a ray of sunshine and I did a blog post for her How to Look Better tag
- Bronzegoddess01 is a Christian woman who does videos to motivate and help women during difficult times in her Strawberry Letters
Pass these tips along to your younger sister or cousin. What would you tell your younger self? #DearMe Share below.
Happy International Women’s Day!