In my first Dear Twenty Something Series Post I shared 10 things I would tell my 20-year-old self. Before I start sharing blog posts about twenty something issues I want to finish this list. Here’s the last part of: 10 Things I Would Tell my 20 Year Old Self. What would you add to the list? Share below.
10 Things I Would Tell my 20 Year Old Self Part Deux:
1. I never pictured myself where I am now, but a few people do and it is okay: This was one of the hardest things I had to realize. When I was younger I had an idea of where I wanted to be. So to all my young twenty somethings out there remember its okay if you feel like you are not where you thought you would be. Appreciate where you are now.
2. You can plan and plan, but remember life happens: Similar to my first point we have to remember life happens. You will have good, bad and ugly days. I know for me, “I love margins and discipline. I make lists in my sleep”. I need my lists! Lists are good, but we have to remember over planning can take the fun out of life. It’s good to plan, but don’t plan too much that it take the fun out of the event. Enjoy life!
3. Keep a Journal: When I was younger I kept a journal then when I went to college I stopped journaling. Before I started this blog I started journaling again and I’m happy I did. When I write I have time to unwind and write about my problems. Last month my mother gave me a Two Year Discovery Journal for my birthday. So far I like it. I will share a blog post soon about what I think about the journal. Last Christmas my aunt gave me a 5 year journal and I still enjoy using it. If you don’t keep a journal you should. Give it a go and let me know.
4. Don’t Let Stress get the Best of you: Stress is a part of life, but it shouldn’t weigh you down. I know I had my share of stressful situations in my twenties. Can we say – adult acne and a lot of bad hair days. Now, that I have my stress under control I feel amazing and happier!
5. Travel More: Even if it is a staycation, traveling is fun. Explore a different side of your city. You never know what you may find. I’m looking forward to traveling abroad. I have not traveled abroad yet and I will soon. I’m so excited!
6. Sleep is Good, Power Naps are Amazing: When I was an undergrad I didn’t get enough sleep because I studied a lot. As I got older I realized sleep is amazing and I appreciate power naps more. I get tired earlier and wake up earlier. It’s crazy how things change. Welcome to your late twenties!
7. It’s Fine if You Want to Stay in: I have to admit sometimes I can be a bit of a homebody. Instead of having a night out on the town on a Friday or Saturday night I rather have a Netflix marathon. I know some of my late twenty something’s agree.
8. It’s Okay to Look Young: I may look young now, but in 10 years I will appreciate looking young so much more.
9. Friends: Friends will come and go over the years. Between graduations, weddings, baby showers and distance you will see your friends here and there. Don’t let it get you down. Remember no matter the distance if you are great friends you will still be great friends. Plus you get to make memorable visits when you see them! 🙂
10: Like Mindy says, “It’s so weird being my own role model”: Own it! Sometimes you have to look yourself in the mirror and say what you want to hear to motivate yourself. I always say claim positive things and you will get positive things. Mentors are important, but I believe that you should be your own role model as well. Think to yourself: Would I be a good role model?
If you missed Part 1 check out my Dear Twenty Something Series Introduction Blog Post.
What are you looking forward to in your twenties? Share below. Stay tuned. This is the last post about what I would tell my 20-year-old self. In my next Dear Twenty Something Blog Post I will have a topic for you. Stay tuned!