The other day I was wearing a button down shirt. Button down shirts are my go to when I am not wearing dresses. Two of my favorite accessories for button down shirts are statement necklaces and bow ties. Since I already made a statement necklace I wanted to make a bow tie. I have a collection of bow ties, but I wanted to make my own. So I looked in my craft box and decided to use some of the fabric I had from an old dress to make my bow tie. If you want to save money on fabric or you like to do upcylcle projects, look in your closet for clothes you don’t wear anymore.
Let’s get started:
- Fabric of your choice
- Glue gun
- Glue sticks
- Bow tie clip or brooch clip
1. Decide how big you want your bow tie to be. Note: I looked at the bow ties in my collection to come up with an idea for sizing and style.
2. Measure and cut out two pieces of fabric: one big piece and one small piece.
3. Measure and cut the big piece: 7 inches x 5 inches.
4. Measure and cut the small piece: 4 inches x 2 inches.
5. Don’t worry about the raw edges when you glue the fabric you won’t see the raw edges.
6. Trim the raw edges if needed.
7. Flip your fabric over to non-printed side/back side.
8. Fold the top and bottom of your fabric and secure with glue.
9. Fold the left and right ends of the fabric toward the middle and secure with glue.
10. Pinch the middle of the fabric to form a bow tie shape.
11. Secure with glue.
12. Wrap the small piece of material around the middle of the bow tie.
13. Secure with glue.
14. Glue your bow tie clip to the back of your bow tie. Note: Since I did not have a bow tie clip on hand I used one of my brooch clips and it worked fine.
15. Let your bow tie dry.
16. Wear it!
A bow tie is a perfect accessory for a button down shirt. You can make many bow ties of different shapes, colors, prints and sizes. The possibilities are endless! I know I will make some more for my family. If you want you can use this to make a bow headband…hmm
P.S.: Since Father’s Day is around the corner you can make a navy, black or pinstriped bow tie for your dad as a great DIY Gift for Father’s Day. A bow tie is so versatile.
Will you try this DIY? Do you like bow ties? More DIYs to come! Comment below.