In my last post I talked about journaling using my A Line a Day: A Five-Year Memory Book and the Moment Diary App. Today, I am going to share how you can make your own DIY Notebook for Journaling.
Here’s what you need to get started!
DIY Hand-Stitched Notebook for Journaling:
- Card stock or recycled cardboard from cereal box
- Paper (for the pages)
- Needle & Thread
- Decorative paper
- Glue (optional, if you need to glue your decorative paper to cover notebook)
1. Decide how big you want to make your notebook.
2. Cut the cardboard to the size you want.
3. Cut the paper to fit your cardboard.
4. Fold the cardboard in half and use your ruler to make a nice crease.
5. Unfold the cardboard and lay it flat.
6. Stack the cardboard and paper on top of each other and secure with clips.
Note: The clips will prevent the paper from sliding as you thread your notebook.
7. Mark the cardboard and paper with a pencil to mark where you want to poke the holes for threading.
8. Use the push-pin to punch holes in both the cardboard and the paper.
Tip: Turn the push-pin as you push the pin through the cardboard and the paper.
7. Measure and cut the thread twice the size of the spine.
8. Push the needle through the first hole and secure with a knot.
9. Continue to stitch until you have completely threaded the spine of the notebook.
10. Secure the last stitch with a knot.
11. Cover the notebook with decorative paper. (optional)
12. Sit a heavy object on the notebook so that it can lay flat.
13. All done! Now, you have your own handmade hand-stitched notebook that you can use for journaling.
I made four small notebooks that are perfect for my purse. I can use them for journaling, taking notes or keeping up with my To-Do List. I want to make more. Will you try to make a notebook? Let me know if you do.