No matter what your style is or how old you are, there are items in your wardrobe that will always be there. I went through my wardrobe and came up with my essentials. When you have your essential wardrobe staples you can create a functional enjoyable wardrobe. From there you can create your own signature style. When selecting staple pieces for your wardrobe you want the pieces to make a positive statement and show a bit of your personality. Let’s get started!
1. A Blazer: Blazers are amazing. When you add a blazer to a simple outfit you immediately take the outfit to the next level. Find out which type(s) of blazers work for you. If you can only buy one, a classic black/navy blazer never goes out of style.
2. Pumps/Heels: Even though I am not a big fan of pumps I have to admit I have a few. When picking pumps you want to make sure they are comfortable. Can you sit? Can you stand? Can you walk without looking like a baby cow? I suggest starting with a classic black pump 2-3 inches. Right now I’m on the hunt for vintage (40s/50s) pumps. Chie Mihara and Modcloth and have an amazing selection of vintage style of pumps and heels.
3. Flats: I practically live in flats and I don’t mind. Ballet flats, loafers, oxfords, Toms, the possibilities are endless.
4. Bag/Purse: For this category I have two types: a basic big everyday bag and a small bag. Classic brown or black bags are great for work, school or running errands. As for small bags, I like crossbody bags or vintage bags.
5. Jewelry: A good way to spice up your wardrobe is with jewelry. Whether you like to make your jewelry or buy it, jewelry can help you put the pieces of your outfit together and finish the look.
6. Coat (or Jacket): My favorite things to wear in the cooler months are coats and boots. Instead of a basic black wool coat try an olive-green, red or printed coat. In the warmer months, you can’t go wrong with a classic khaki trench coat.
7. Boots: Boots, Boots, Boots! My favorite boots are: riding boots, ankle boots and cowgirl boots. Find a pair that you love and they can add a bit of edge to an outfit. Boots are functional for the cold weather and stylish!
8. Blouse or Fitted Dress Shirt: This is a staple for the professional woman. Actually, it is a staple for all women. A blouse or dress shirt that fits well can complement any outfit. Dress it up or down, the possibilities are endless.
9. Little (insert color) dress: We all heard about this all over magazines, blogs and in the media. Everyone women wants/needs a little black dress. A little black dress is functional, but it is sometimes boring. Why not add a little navy dress, little brown dress or even little polka dot dress to your wardrobe?
10. Belts: Besides using your belt for your trousers, belts are so versatile. Try adding a belt to define your waist on a dress. Or if you are feel like adding a different look to your coat or jacket, switch out the existing belt for a more unique belt.
11. Watch: Besides using it to tell time, a watch is a good way to accessories your look. My personal favorite is the rose gold one from Fossil. It goes with everything!
12. Skirt: Whether it is a skater, A-line or Pencil skirt, a skirt that fits well is a great piece to have in your wardrobe. You can pair it with a blouse for a dressy look or a t-shirt for a casual look.
13.Trousers (or jeans): I have to admit I do not like jeans anymore. Maybe I wore them too often in my college days. Now, I prefer to wear dresses and skirts any day, instead of trousers. However, if I do wear trousers I make sure they have a nice tailored fit. A pair of trousers that fit well is important for everyone, especially for petite women (like myself).
Let me know what piece was your favorite? What is your top wardrobe staple?Comment below.