No matter what your style is or how old you are, there are items that you will continue to use. Today I want to share my #13 Essential Wardrobe Staples that serve as the foundation to create my wardrobe. After adding these pieces to your wardrobe you will be one step closer to having a functional wardrobe filled with pieces that you actually wear and enjoy wearing. From this list you can create your own signature style. Style is a way to express yourself and a way to stand out. When selecting staple pieces for your wardrobe you want the pieces to make a positive statement and show a bit of your personality. Let’s get started!
1. A Blazer: Blazers are amazing. When you add a blazer to a simple outfit you immediately take the outfit to the next level. There are blazers in every style and every color. Find out which type(s) of blazers work for you. If you can only buy one a classic black blazer never goes out of style.
2. Pumps/Heels: Even though I am not a big fan of pumps I have to admit I have a few. When picking a pumps you want to make sure they are comfortable. If you are not sure what to get, go for a classic style, such as basic black pumps. If you are anything like me and do not like pumps/heels try out a retro or edger style. Modcloth has an amazing retro selection of pumps and heels.
3. Flats: I practically live in flats and I don’t mind. Ballet flats, loafers, oxfords, Toms, the possibilities are endless.
4. Bag/Purse: For this category I have two types: a basic big everyday bag and a small bag. Classic brown or black bags are great to use for work, school or running errands. When I opt for a small bag I like to use bags that are quirky or vintage (or inspired) to add a bit of my personal style.
5. Jewelry: A good way to spice up your wardrobe is with jewelry. Whether you like to make your jewelry or buy it, jewelry can help you put the pieces of your outfit together and finish the look.
6. Coat (or Jacket): My favorite thing about winter are the coats and boots. During the winter you are trying to stay warm, why not add a coat that is unique or a coat with a classic style. My top picks: wool coat, peplum coat or khaki trench coat.
7. Boots: Boots, Boots, Boots! I would wear them everyday if I could. My favorite boots are: riding boots, biker boots and cowgirl boots. Find a pair that you love and they can the look of an outfit. Boots are functional for the cold weather and stylish!
8. Blouse or Fitted Dress Shirt: This is a staple for the working woman. Actually, it is a staple for all women. A blouse or dress shirt that fits well can complement any outfit.
9. Little (insert color) dress: We all heard about this all over magazines, blogs and in the media. Everyone women wants/needs a little black dress. A little black dress is functional, but it is sometimes boring. Why not add a little navy dress, little brown dress or even little polka dot dress to your wardrobe?
10. Belts: Besides using your belt for your trousers, belts are so versatile. Try adding a belt to define your waist on a dress. Or if you are feel like adding a different look to your coat or jacket, switch out the existing belt for a more unique belt.
11. Watch: Besides using it to tell time, a watch is a good way to accessories your look. My personal favorite is the rose gold one from Fossil. It goes with everything!
12. Skirt: Whether it is a skater, A-line or Pencil skirt, a skirt that fits well is a great piece to have in your wardrobe. You can pair it with a blouse for a dressy look or a t-shirt for a casual look.
13.Trousers (or jeans): I have to admit I do not like jeans anymore. Maybe I wore them too often in my college days. Now, I prefer to wear dresses and skirts any day, instead of trousers. However, if I do wear trousers I make sure they have a nice tailored fit. A pair of trousers that fit well is important for everyone, especially for petite women (like myself) or taller women
Comment below. Let me know what piece was your favorite? What other piece(s) would you add to your wardrobe?