When I was younger I used to make necklaces all the time. So it made perfect sense to share a necklace DIY. I got my inspiration from Shirley (MeeknMild’s) video. This necklace DIY is easy, chic and pretty. My type of DIY!
DIY Statement Bib Necklace:
- Glue gun
- Jersey fabric (or old T-shirt)
- Thin wire/chain/plastic gimp to tie the necklace at the ends (I used thin wire)
Let’s get started!:
1. Lay fabric flat to measure out 4 strips: 30 inches long and about 3 inches wide.
2. Cut the fabric and stretch it.
3. Gather the four strips of fabric and tie a knot at one end.
4. Begin to do the straight knot.
*Most of us may remember doing this when we were younger using plastic gimp or string. If not here’s how to get started:
- There are 4 strands of fabric (1, 2, 3 and 4).
- With strand 1 make a loop towards the front of the knot and with strand 2 make a loop to the back of the knot.
- Strand 4 goes over the end of strand 2 through the loop of strand 1.
- Strand 3 goes over the open end of strand 1 and through the loop of strand 2.
- Pull the strands tightly and you will see that it forms a square.
- Repeat until you reach the end.
- Tie a knot at the end.
5. Wrap a piece of your thin wire around both ends.
6. Take a small piece of excess fabric and wrap the fabric around each end.
7. Secure the fabric with glue to cover up the loose ends.
8. Cut off the excess fabric.
10. Now time to wear it!
I liked this DIY so much I made two necklaces. This is a great way to upcylce your old t-shirts.
Are you into upcycling? What are your favorite things to upcycle?