Here is my first DIY! I had so many ideas and did not know what I should post so I decided to post a DIY of something I have been wearing all summer long. I have been wearing my pink one last summer and made a new one in a pale yellow for this summer. I was inspired by Shirley (MeeknMild’s) blog to make this. I hope you find it helpful and enjoy!
DIY Statement Bib Necklace:
- Glue gun
- Jersey fabric (or old T-shirt)
- Thin wire/chain/plastic gimp to tie the necklace at the ends (I used thin wire)
Lets get started!:
1. Lay fabric flat to measure out 4 strips: 30 inches long and about 3 inches wide.
2. Cut the fabric and stretch it.
3. Gather the four strips of fabric and tie a knot at one end.
4. Begin to do the straight knot.
*Most of us may remember doing this when we were younger using plastic gimp or string. If not here’s how to get started:
- There are 4 strands of fabric (1, 2, 3 and 4).
- With strand 1 make a loop towards the front of the knot and with strand 2 make a loop to the back of the knot.
- Strand 4 goes over the end of strand 2 through the loop of strand 1.
- Strand 3 goes over the open end of strand 1 and through the loop of strand 2.
- Pull the strands tightly and you will see that it forms a square.
- Repeat until you reach the end.
- Tie a knot at the end.
5. Wrap a piece of your thin wire around both ends.
6. Take a small piece of excess fabric and wrap the fabric around each end.
7. Secure the fabric with glue to cover up the loose ends.
8. Cut off the excess fabric.
10. Now time to wear it!
On the left I am wearing the pale yellow one I made for this summer and the bottom right is the pink one I made last summer. The middle is another view of the pale yellow one. This necklace can go with everything from colorful print to a simple pinstripe button top.